WiloStar3D Academy implements accommodations for students based on individual needs. Many online homeschooling and virtual schools do not offer accommodations. WiloStar does! Special needs homeschooling does not have to mean using materials that are not engaging. Your child can learn in a fun, interesting and interactive setting with WiloStar.
How do we determine what accommodations are needed? We like to begin with obtaining a base-line of abilities for each individual child as they start off with our program. Based on the information you provided upon enrollment we then identify some strategies to implement to improve your child’s success. Each student will have a different threshold for success with technology so it’s important to come into this experience with a mindset of determination and patience. Our many years of experience working with students with varied backgrounds has shown us that all students can succeed provided we work as a team! It’s important to also understand that the student ILP will evolve and grow, just as your child will evolve and grow during their time with us.
ADMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS FOR STUDENTS NEEDING ACCOMMODATIONS
Sample ILP Strategies Used
1. Your child will be encouraged to complete every other question on the daily written work. For lessons that are marked with a * on the questions, those are the ones they need to attempt to answer. As the school year progresses and skills improve, we may phase out this strategy over time.
2. For longer written assignments (long answer, essay, and longer projects) the grading will be modified to allow for shorter responses. We will work towards helping your child distill the main concepts and main ideas to demonstrate mastery of the content.
3. The use of Dragonspeak or other audio software to both dictate responses and read pages may also be used to help with longer assignments.
4. Audio books via the WiloStar3D Academy Learning Ally site may also be used alongside the print edition of novels to help reading comprehension and reading fluency.
5. Readspeak TextAid is also highly recommended as students can install the plug in for Google Chrome and have relevant Web pages read aloud in a natural sounding voice. It’s further recommended that parents obtain a subscription to audible.com so their student has access to the audio version of novels used for Integrated Studies.