Aspergers Virtual Schooling
Asperger’s syndrome is an autism spectrum disorder, and students with it show significant difficulties in social interaction, along with restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests. AS is a syndrome that is neurologically based, and it does not necessarily affect intelligence. Each and every student has their own unique talents and strengths and WiloStar3D believes in getting at the root of how to help bring out the best in each child. Students just need to be provided with the right tools and educational setting! WiloStar3D’s online homeschooling program is a good fit for many students with Asperger’s!
Students with Asperger’s Syndrome also tend to exhibit a lack of effectiveness in social interactions. They tend to have difficulty knowing how to ‘make connections’ socially. Social situations are easily misread by students with Asperger’s Syndrome and as a result, their interactions and responses are often interpreted by others as being odd. This can be a challenge for many AS students in a traditional school setting. The good news is that WiloStar3D has been working with AS students for well over two decades now with great success! WiloStar3D’s pioneering use of avatars within an educational virtual world campus helps AS students overcome many of these barriers.
Additionally, students with Asperger’s Syndrome can have significant difficulty interpreting non-verbal social communication skills used to regulate social interactions (e.g., tone of voice, facial expressions, body postures, gestures, personal space. WiloStar3D works with AS students through the use of avatars to help model appropriate social interactions and practice learned skills in this area.
WiloStar3D AS students thrive in our 3D environment. Many of our AS students have a high attention to detail, and are talented, intelligent thinkers. Additionally, many AS students love the computer and technology and they thrive on finding a creative outlet for these talents. These traits help our AS students develop wonderfully interactive and engaging virtual world projects for their studies and better yet, develop social skills with their peers within the less threatening 3D virtual world setting.
ADMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS FOR STUDENTS NEEDING ACCOMMODATIONS
Sample ILP Strategies Used
1. Your child will be encouraged to complete every other question on the daily written work. For lessons that are marked with a * on the questions, those are the ones they need to attempt to answer. As the school year progresses and skills improve, we may phase out this strategy over time.
2. For longer written assignments (long answer, essay, and longer projects) the grading will be modified to allow for shorter responses. We will work towards helping your child distill the main concepts and main ideas to demonstrate mastery of the content.
3. The use of Dragonspeak or other audio software to both dictate responses and read pages may also be used to help with longer assignments.
4. Audio books via the WiloStar3D Academy Learning Ally site may also be used alongside the print edition of novels to help reading comprehension and reading fluency.
5. Readspeak TextAid is also highly recommended as students can install the plug in for Google Chrome and have relevant Web pages read aloud in a natural sounding voice. It’s further recommended that parents obtain a subscription to audible.com so their student has access to the audio version of novels used for Integrated Studies.